Stories of Success Among Grads of Lower Ranked Schools







Some Balance to the Gloom and Doom Stories

Brian Leiter, ABA Top 100 Blawger, has shared a conversation among graduates of lower tiered schools here. The conversation started with this question:

cheapbrass (Apr 18, 2014 - 2:53 pm)
If you are a tier 2 or below grad...and are somewhat successful ($100k+ salary) post here. how far out of school you are and your firm size, or if you are a solo, partner, or associate. Me first: Tier 3, 10+ years out, firm size 5-10, forever associate.
The comments, largely stories of success, mirror the stories I hear from most of the alumni of ASL.  

If you have your own stories of success, feel free to post them in the comments to this blog.   

Comments

  1. I graduated from ASL in May, and was hired on in the Norfolk Magistrate's Office in early September of the same year. Aside from the certification program with the state and on the job training I've received here, I've also been able to branch out and attend other training/classes which I can use to pursue future career opportunities, all while being a salaried employee with a state benefits package.

    It sounds like the thread topic bases success on salary, which is not the greatest yardstick for state jobs, unless you account for the retirement package, health benefits, leave policy, etc.

    I tend to base success on a more emotional level: am I putting my education and training to good use and am I happy with my career? I would say my answer to those questions is a resounding yes. I am living and breathing criminal law, I am in a position of public service, and I genuinely love what I do every day.

    I work with a mix of JDs, Attorneys, and people with other educational backgrounds (two years ago Virginia began requiring JDs for new Magistrate hires). Of the "law school" people I work with, a majority of them have gone to Tier 3 or 4 schools.

    I'm not bringing home six figures, I'm not part of any size law firm, but I'm doing something I'm passionate about and to me that's success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis