Harvesting the Energy of 2019


100 Things I Did in 2019


Sara Pruitt Arey, at ReFutureYourLife,  offers a tool she calls "Harvesting the Energy from 2019."  She suggests that you list 100 things that you accomplished during the year.

Instructions:

She said to look in different parts of your life, including business/work, home, relationships, health, fun, adventure, learning, and self-development.  She also suggests you include less tangible things, like listening to your intuition or treating yourself with more love and kindness.

Use your calendar, emails, or social media posts to help you recall the steps you took throughout the year.

Be very inclusive.  Don't leave something out just because you think it quite ordinary.  If the item that pops into your head feels like a positive step, then write it down.

She explains that every step forward -- no matter how small -- is progress.

This list is evidence of your hugely vast creative power.  When you feel stuck in 2020, take a look at it.  Let it confirm that you are still making positive steps.

Spend about 30 to 45 minutes on this reflection.  And, if you come short of 100 items, no problem.  You can skip to the last step she recommends.

My List:

So here is my list for 2019:

1. Made more contact with family and friends in the US.

2. Read a book at least every month.

3. Listened to audiobooks at least every other month.

4. Created lists of award winning books

5. Started listening to Story Grid podcast.

6. Blogged 22 times at the Red Velvet Lawyer.

7. Watched too much Netflix.

8. Attended several presentations and conferences in Doha.
9. Met several times with a colleague about the East African project.

10. Met with the manager of QU's entrepreneurial center about the East African project.

11. Talked with Robin about the East Africa project.

12. Got new glasses.

13. Lost 55 pounds.

14. Had weight loss surgery.

15. Had hiatal hernia surgery.

16. Did pre-op blood work and barium swallow.

17. Had nasal surgery.

18. Had colonoscopy.

19. Had heart echo.

20. Had lung x-ray.

21. Got rabies vaccine.

22. Got hepatitis booster.

23. Gave big clothes away to Irina.

24. Swam 2 to 4 times a week.

25. Lifted 2 to 4 times a week.

26. Attended yoga/fascia release class.

27. Quit drinking alcohol in June.

28. Took my supplements.

29. Took Dutch Test hormonal testing and talked with Anna Garrett.

30. Used Healing Touch daily.

31. Did yoga stretching 2 to 4 times a week for at least 10 minutes.

32. Got weekly 2-hour massages.

33. Wrote in my gratitude journal.

34. Started heart chakra section in the Chakra Wisdom Toolkit journal.

35. Repeated daily affirmations focused on the solar plexus and heart chakras.

36. Ate clean with 80 grams of protein.

37. Paid off all my debt.

38. Finished tax returns and paid 2016 to 2018 taxes.

39. Bought flowering plant for balcony.

40. Repaired Roman shades and water dispenser.

41. Got a new dryer.

42. Reorganized storage unit with new shelving.

43. Created vision board for 2019 academic year.

44. Created vision board for retirement transition.

45. Got five chapters on the Qatar blockade published.

46. Finished the article on malpractice insurance for health care professionals.

47. Finished the article on free speech in Doha.

48. Got two book reviews published.

49. Made semester a little easier on me (and the students).

50. Taught two semesters.

51. Rested for most of the summer and winter breaks.

52. Continued to support my colleagues.

53. Had dinners with friends.

54. Saved money for my move to Thailand.

55. Started transition to retirement.
  • Sign-up for Social Security.
  • Figured out Medicare for expat retirees.  Signed up for Parts A & B.  
  • Paid my first Medicare premium. 
56. Researched retirement options in Thailand, Ecuador, Spain, Portugal, Philippines, Ghana, and Albania.

57. Repaired phone, again!

58. Held meeting about book project on the legal consequences of the Gulf crisis and lined up over ten authors.

59. Canceled book project after I learned I'd be leaving Qatar.

60. Enjoyed book club reading and meetings until it blew up, again!

61. Created more support by having my housekeeper come once a week.

62. Ordered smaller trousers, jeans, and tops.

63. Bought cuter clothes.

64. Looked better in my clothes!

65. Applied for teaching positions in Thailand, Doha, and Singapore.

66. Contacted QICDRC about opportunity to build mediation community in Qatar.

67. Investigated Fullbright scholarships.

68. Updated resume.

69. Updated Digital Measures

70. Updated SharePoint.

71. Attended College of Law reception at Ritz.

72. Lovingly sent off Andrea to the US.

73. Met weekly with Andrea via Zoom.

74. Continued pro-Rule of Law curating on social media.

75. Renewed exit permit.

76. Did maintenance on apartment.

77. Did maintenance on car.

78. Renewed car permit.

79. Attended departmental meetings.

80. Held extended office hours.

81. Attended male tennis match.

82. Attended female tennis match.

83. Attend international gymnastics competition.

84. Attended international track and field competition.

85. Attended Cirque du Soleil.

86. Attended Blue Man Group.

87. Attended sheep beauty contest.

88. Got regular haircuts and pedicure.

89. Proctored 12 exams.

90. Enjoyed spring break in Goa, India.

91. Got a co-signer on my bank account.

92. Become better friends with Luigia.

93. Had several dinner parties.

94. Got my teeth cleaned twice.  Developed better flossing habits.

95. Hosted Kwavi and her friend.

96. Lovingly sent off Jessica.

97. Got a new passport (my third or fourth over my lifetime).

98. Talked with my financial planner, Carrie Van Winkle.

99. Sent emails to supervisor about better supporting scholarship.

100. Worked with my Undergraduate Teaching Assistants.  Made certificates of appreciation for both of them.

101. Met with my dietitian monthly.

102. Got new computer operating system.

103. Curated photos and got them in the cloud.

104. Attended graduation.

105. Got insurance letter.

106. Bought a bed, mattress, side table, and console table.

108. Wrote letters of recommendation to help my students grow academically.

Phew!

Final Steps:

Sara would have me say that in a much more formal way.  Here is what she suggests:

Sit with the list in your lap.  Put your hands, one-on-top of the other, over your heart.  Settle into your body.  Say:
I did this.  I did all of this.  Sometimes I was nervous and scared, and I did this.  I took these steps and these actions.  I grew, and I learned.  I expanded.  I did this.  I did this, and I'm proud of myself.  Some of these were hard things [to do], and I did them.  I can do hard things.  At the beginning of last year, I didn't know I could or would do all of this, and I did.  I did this.  I can do challenging things.  I love that I did this.  I love that I did all of this.  I'm proud of myself,  Yay, me! I did this!  I did all of this. 


She then suggests you can supercharge the experience by using the Amy Cuddy "power pose" as you repeat these words. 

Got it?  So start your list for 2019. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?