A High-Risk Elder Goes Grocery Shopping in Qatar










When Shopping 

Feels Like a Gamble






Yesterday, as cases spiked in Doha to nearly 1,000 per day, I went to the grocery store as soon as it opened. Every time I go, I feel I am tossing a coin. Heads, I win. Tails, I lose.

Qatari officials now require all shoppers and service workers to wear masks. I wore my new N95 mask. Again, a guy was wiping down the carts and was happy to let me use the bottle to spray the handle and seat with extra disinfectant. A woman took my temperature.

People were mindful to keep a distance, and were friendly when I asked them to stand a bit further from me. But, one women actually knocked into me in an aisle. And, there was plenty of room to avoid me.

I now have a tub near the door where I deposited my shoes and keys and sprayed them with disinfectant. I slipped into my house shoes and washed my hands. Then, I stripped out of my clothes in the kitchen and put them in the washer. Next, I showered. Dressed. Went back to the groceries.
I brought the bags to the kitchen. I did not sanitize individual packages, but did sanitize the floors in the kitchen and the hallway. Then, turned over my "trolley" and sanitized the bottom of it. I threw the reusable bags in the washer with my clothes and turned it on. Then, I spray my purse handles, purse bottom, wallet, and debit card with alcohol.

I won't know if these efforts pay off for 14 days. By then, I may need to go to the store again. Maybe it's too much precaution. Maybe it's not enough.

It's emotionally exhausting.

And, I am grateful that I have the resources to make the best of this awful situation.

Keep you and your families safe. Keep others safe, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis