Back to School: Do You Want to Be Christopher Robin, Piglet, or Eeyore?


Some positive affirmations:

  • Fear can’t stop me from moving forward. 
  • I’m worthy of positive changes in my life.
  • Today, I welcome change as an opportunity.
  • I am fulfilling all my commitments today.
  • I am confident in my ability to meet challenges today.
  • I have all that I need to do what is good and right in my life today.
  • I am learning to trust my own wisdom and give myself permission to follow it.

In July, I posted some positive affirmations for nervous bar exam takers here.  This past Friday, I provided our incoming students with a modified copy of the same list of affirmations during the session I taught on test taking strategies and test anxiety.

Science confirms that this sort of positive self-talk changes our brains in good ways, elevates emotions, and generates the kind of energy people want to be around.

Think of Christopher Robin -- the wise, pleasant, cheerful, compassionate companion and leader  -- in the Winnie-the Pooh book series.  









Or, Piglet, Pooh's kind, gentle, and shy friend.  With Pooh's help, the little pig shows bravery, overcomes his fears, and faces danger to help his friends.

In contrast, think of  Eeyore, Pooh's "ever-glum, slow-talking, pessimistic, and sarcastic donkey friend" who couldn't even keep his stick-made home from repeatedly falling apart.  

For a delightful example of how this works, take a look at this video of  4 year old, Jessica, doing her daily affirmation.  How different is that self-talk from what most of us say in the mirror every morning?  (And ignore the circulating parody.  It is funny, but sad.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 4 - Changing Alliances in the Region

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 7 - Where is the Gulf Headed?

The 12th Al Jazeera Forum: Session 6 - The Media During Times of Crisis